Moving in from out of state?

Welcome to PA!

The process of obtaining a PA driver's license and vehicle registration can seem overwhelming for our new residents.  Our goal is to simplify the process as much as possible.

Where to start?  The short story is that you obtain your PA drivers license first, your title/registration second, and inspection last.


To obtain a PA driver's license, you'll need to visit a PennDOT Driver's License Center.  For a complete list of locations as well as information regarding what you'll need to bring, please enter the following into your Google search bar:  Penndot Info for New Residents.  The first item that returns in your search will bring you directly to the link detailing the required documents.



To transfer your vehicle to Pennsylvania, PennDOT requires the out of state title.  There are no exceptions to this rule.  If there is a lien on the vehicle or if you are leasing, we must first request the title from your lienholder or lessor.  This process usually takes 2-3 weeks, as lienholders and lessors often use third party titling agents or participate in electronic titling.

If you do not have a title due to a lien or leasing, please start with Part I below.  If you are in possession of your title, please skip to Part II below.

Missing the out of state title?  You must contact the state where the title is issued to obtain a duplicate.

PART I - Requesting the Out of State Title from Your Lienholder or Lessor

At least one named owner must be present with ID.  The ID does not have to be from PA for Part I, so come in as soon as possible to get the ball rolling on this process.  Required documentation:

1.  Current registration card or vehicle information

2.  Account # for loan

3.  Lender or lessor name and address

4.  Lender or lessor phone number

5.  Fax # for lender or lessor title department

Fee $17

Turnaround time:  Usually 2-3 weeks, depending on the lender

Part II Transferring Out of State Title to Pennsylvania

To transfer the vehicle to PA and obtain registration (plates) you will need the following:

1.  ALL named parties on existing title must be present.  Call about exceptions:  610-834-2900.

2.  Title (Original.  Photocopies are not acceptable.)

3.  Valid PA Driver's License

4.  Proof of current PENNSYLVANIA insurance in the name of at least one named party

5.  Current mileage of the vehicle

6.  VIN Verification:  In PA, we must compare the VIN # on the vehicle to the VIN# on the out of state title to verify that they match. There are several ways to do this:

     a.  Bring the vehicle at the time of title transfer and a member of our staff will physically look at the VIN on the car.

     b.  Download form MV41 from PennDOT's website and have the VIN # verified by either a PA inspection mechanic or a police officer from ANY jurisdiction in Section B of form.

     c.  Take a picture of the VIN plate on the vehicle and have the picture signed on the back by either a PA state inspection mechanic or a police officer from ANY jurisdiction.


State fees are charged by PennDOT and are the same no matter where you go.  The State Fees for an out of state transfer vary depending on several variables, including vehicle type (car, truck, motorcycle), lien status, the county the owner lives in. etc.

Services fees are determined by the private agent contracted with the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.  Conshohocken Auto Tags prices are very competitive.

We can accept payment as cash or check, just NO CARDS!   If paying by check, we ask for two checks.  (One check will be payable to the Commonwealth of PA and the other check will be payable to Conshohocken Auto Tags.)

We are happy to provide exact fees if you would like to call our office!  By answering a few simple questions, we can determine what the required fees will be for your specific transaction.


Lastly, you'll want to keep in mind that you will have 10 days from the day we issue you your registration to have the vehicle inspected in PA.  The inspection mechanic will place an inspection sticker on your front windshield confirming that your inspection has been completed.  It is not necessary to notify us at that this process has been done.

Every situation is a little different,  If we didn't answer your question here, please give us a call and we will be happy to walk you through the process!